Not sure if heated towel rail is central heating mains or electric?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I'm buying a heated towel rail to replace the one in my bathroom. The one in my bathroom runs off the central heating which is two copper pipes underneath. It has two capped nuts at the top end of each frame, one has a bleed valve. So similar to this one in the image.

1719868133730.png

I noticed the replacement I am buying (below) looks exactly the same, though it does not have the two nuts at the top, it's just blank. It also has a small hole at the top of the frame in the right pic. It does have two pipe holes at the bottom, suggesting it can run off the central heating.

1719868212240.png
1719868266858.png

Can anyone tell me what are the difference between these towel racks? Is the hole for fitting the bleed valve in the replacement? cheers

Sponsored Links
Doesn't the one that you are buying have any description/ technical specifications available to you before you purchase it ?
It would appear to be for a central heating system.

New one has tapping for air vent.
But, where did you buy it?
Never had a rad/rail that didn't come with vent and cap!

Thanks guys, I've not bought it yet, its listed on ebay. It's the only rail that matches my old one, though yeah I can't seem to find one like it online anywhere. I have asked them if they can take pics of the instructions. I still think it could possibly be electric as I've seen ones with holes at the bottom. Maybe that small hole if for the wire? As it would only make sense if it was at the back.

Sponsored Links
Thanks guys, I've not bought it yet, its listed on ebay. It's the only rail that matches my old one, though yeah I can't seem to find one like it online anywhere. I have asked them if they can take pics of the instructions. I still think it could possibly be electric as I've seen ones with holes at the bottom. Maybe that small hole if for the wire? As it would only make sense if it was at the back.

Electric towel rail is much the same as standard usually.
The element pokes up into it from the bottom and other tappings are blanked off.
The wire is molded on to the element... It doesn't go into the rail.

Is this towel rad second hand? The hole at the top should have a vent screw in it for bleeding air out. If its missing, steer well clear.

Yes second hand, but not used. I just saw the instructions and the hole is indeed for a vent screw. I would need to check if it is included. Though if not can these be bought separately?

So I found out it is a 'Dual Energy' towel warmer. Does this mean it can run off the central heating, though also needs electrical hardwire? Or can I just install without the electrical part if it's pretty much has non electrical parts inside?

Yes second hand, but not used. I just saw the instructions and the hole is indeed for a vent screw. I would need to check if it is included. Though if not can these be bought separately?

It depends on the size of the tapping thread. You can buy standard rad vents but need to know the size of the female on the rail being listed.

So I found out it is a 'Dual Energy' towel warmer. Does this mean it can run off the central heating, though also needs electrical hardwire? Or can I just install without the electrical part if it's pretty much has non electrical parts inside?

As I said, mosttowel rails can be either or. Or dual! This is done via valves which go into the bottom of the rail that allow both flow and return water from CH in, and also have an additional entry through which an immersion element can be connected for electric heating.

Cheers. I just realised the replacement is too long by about 10cm :D so I may have to give this a skip and look for another one. Appreciate all the help on this.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back