Not understanding drill bits

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
So I'd appreciate some help from anyone who knows about drills and drill bits. I've ordered a drill bit that 600 millimeters long but it doesn't have a circular end so it won't fit securely into my drill. The chuck doesn't tighten as well as it does with a fully circular drill bit.

You can see in a photo the drill bit that doesn't fit securely on the left and an example of one that fits perfectly on the right.

I can understand that the drill bit simply isn't going to fit but I've had this a couple of times in the past and haven't been able to find an answer.

It's obviously time to upgrade my drill but can anyone tell me what type of drill I need to buy in order to be able to accommodate both the types of drill bit in the photo?

PXL_20240928_105746075.jpg

Sponsored Links
You appear to have bought a SDS drill bit

SDS: The original German was "Steck-Dreh-Sitz" meaning Insert-Twist-Stay. As the bit evolved, it has come to be known as a Slotted Drive System or Slotted Drive Shaft.

Special drills use them for a percussive hammer action with/without rotation of the 'bits'. https://www.machinemart.co.uk/c/sds-sds-and-sds-max-drills/ has some examples

Interesting about the German origin . Like the beetle KDF vagen Strength through joy, A.H's slogan ;)

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back