Now this is VERY interesting....

Sponsored Links
QUOTE:

Main Requirements for the Domestic Installer Scheme

1. Competence in designing, installing, inspecting, testing and certifying domestic electrical work in accordance with BS 7671 (the IEE Wiring Regulations)

2. Compliance with the relevant Building Regulations

3. Persons proposed as Qualified Supervisors, who must be a full-time principal or employee of the business, and have at least a City & Guilds 2381 qualification or equivalent

4. At least £2 million Public Liability insurance cover

5. Customers must be offered a warranty

UNQUOTE

Hmm.

I mean, customers must be offered a warranty. Well, I guarantee my work, but that phrase is very vague.

2m cover for PL. That'll be another bill to add to the list: I just have 1m.

Is this the NIC insisting on these conditions? Or the govt? If it is the NIC, they can go and p*ss on themselves......

It's aimed at kitchen fitters, bathroom fitters, plumbers etc...

It mentions a requirement for 2381, and it also says "Competence in designing, installing, inspecting, testing and certifying domestic electrical work in accordance with BS 7671 (the IEE Wiring Regulations)".

I wonder how they expect a kitchen fitter to demonstrate that...

Sponsored Links
I see the NICEIC are making it up as they go along!!!

*ankers

No Jim, Get it Right.

Interfering f***ing *ankers!!

Since when have the NIC shown us guys on the ground any courtesy, Jim?

Part P is expected to come into force in January 2005, leaving just six months for electrical contractors to register with an approved scheme. With an estimated 50,000 unregistered electrical contractors, and a further 100,000 businesses that may be subject to Part P, such as kitchen and bathroom installers, Phil Buckle, Business Development Director at the NICEIC, advises those intending to self-certify when Part P comes into effect not to leave applying for registration too late:

"If you wait until the legislation comes into effect, you risk being at the end of a queue of potentially 150,000 businesses. You would not be able to self-certify compliance with the Building Regulations, and would have to notify your work to building control to enable them to inspect it. This is likely to cause further delays, as many others could be relying on inspection by building control. It will also add to your operating costs, as a charge will be incurred each time you notify work to building control."

So, if these 150,000 businesses took the responsible route and all applied for registration it would equate to over 1000 applications being processed every day between now and Jan 2005. What a pathetic statement to make. No organisation will be able to handle that. It just goes to show that this has not been thought out at all. With all due respect to Mr Buckle if he had half a brain he wouldn't make statements like that.

I'm not in the trade but I'm staggered that this piece of legislation is going through in such a half baked manner. What are you guys doing about it? Going for registration?

Grin and bear it, I suppose, rather like a hapless tourist returning from a drugs hotspot being asked for a cavity search by a none-too-gentle customs official.

BTW It hasn't happened to me. Yet!! :LOL:

I am not an electrician but I do find these discussions about part P interesting. having read the above links, what do you guy's think about small generators? Would this mean the likes of a honda petrol genny on a site or an emergency back up generator which is pemanantly fitted, IE wired in?

When we come to sell our houses are any part P regulations retrospective?

ban-all-sheds said:
securespark said:
f***ing *ankers!!
How's it possible to be both???

Ban, you'll note that there was no terms of reference "with whom" the *ankers are performing their duties...

This obviously indicates it took at least two of them to come up with the idea... (no pun intended....)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back