Off grid power

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My off grid man hut has lighting powered by a 12v 26 amp/hr battery charged by solar. Is there anyway this same battery could be used to charge a laptop? Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
You'll need approx 19v to power and charge the laptop. Your only way would be to use an inverter but that won't be worth the hassle.

Ok right that’s good to know. Looks like a powerbank is the way to go. Thanks for your advice.

Sponsored Links
Simple answer is yes, two options, one a 12 volt to laptop voltage, depends on laptop requirements how easy to find. And second which I have used, is a 12 volt to 230 volt AC inverter and use standard laptop power supply.

I have two, a 150 watt stand alone, and a car starting unit with a 300 watt inverter built in. Both seem to work OK.

The down side with any inverter is they draw current simply to work. Some more than others, so even with fully charged laptop switched off, it is using some power.

I tried using the 150 watt unit to charge a mobility scooter, with near fully charged batteries worked OK, but after use, found the battery charger wanted more than the inverter could deliver, so maintaining the laptop battery a 150 watt may be OK, but recharging the laptop battery it may fail.

The problem is they quote the current used at 120 volt, which is a lot higher than what is used at 230 volt, so only way to know is to measure, with a energy meter or clamp on, reading spec does not help that much.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back