Oil boiler fitting DIY???

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello My first post.

I know that fitting gas is Corgi registered and as such you cant DIY.

But does the same apply to oil? or can I fit this myself without the HSE being on my case.

Sponsored Links
I don't think there is any legal requirements like that for gas installation. There is not an Oil Act similar to the Gas Act, ie UK Law. However it is assumed that your installation must be carried out by a competent person and that it meets the UK Building Regulations and have a certificate to prove it.

If the installer is OFTEC registered, ie he has proved his competency, then he can certify the installation meets the regs but if you are not then you must get the Building Inspector to certify it as meeting the regs. A new boiler and certain other improvements require you to notify the Building Inspector.

Unfortunately the inspectors don't like having to do these inspections and in many cases don't really know all the requirements anyway as they rely on OFTEC and the OFTEC installers to get it right which they are trained to do. They may refuse to inspect a DIY installation and you would have difficulties when you come to sell your house if you have no certificate.

Don't forget that the combustion settings require to be tested with a combustion meter, etc, otherwise it may not work safely and efficiently.
In addition an OFTEC service engineer may refuse to commission and test a DIY job and there would be no manufacturer's guarrantee.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back