Oil Heater Issue

Reaction score
Country
United States
Currently have an issue with my Oil Heating system and was hoping for some advice before i call in a professional.

Last Winter we did not use our forced air heating system, we moved to wood burning stoves but this year we are going to combine Oil Heating with Wood Burning.

Yesterday i had my tank filled and turned the heat system on and watched it closely to make sure it was all in working order. However, i quickly noticed that there was no fuel getting to the Tigerloop so i began troubleshooting the issue.

Our burner is a beckett genisys 7505, the light was flashing red. I pressed it once and could hear it click but it soon went into a hard red light lock down due to no fuel getting to the system. I then tried to bleed the line and reset the burner, hoping to pull the fuel through the line, the system went into lockdown again, solid Red light. I did not want to over do this so did not attempt this more than once, would repeating this multiple times have helped? The fuel line is around 30 feet.

My next steps;

1. Replace the Oil Filter. The system has burned for one Winter and then sat for a Winter. The filter needs replaced anyway and my feeling is that it could be blocked and stopping the fuel from reaching the furnace ? Im assuming any liquid that was caught in the filter could have hardend/turned to sludge?
2. When changing the filter, test the line for blockages. Shut off supply, remove filter and drain line. Open up supply line again and if Oil is flowing to the filter, repace the filter, Bleed the line, reset the burner and hopefully that should be all that is needed ?
3. If oil is not flowing to the Filter, there is a blockage in the line? Im assuming that priming the pump is the best way to pull the oil through the line and clear the blockage? Or would a syringe work better? Would blocked lines need to be replaced?

The oil tank line comes out of the top so im thinking the chances of sludge being in the line are slim? Would the line have cleared pretty well once the last fuel passed through when the system was last used ?

Failing any of the above working...call an expert?

Sponsored Links
This is a U K site. not many will b e au fait with Your equipment.
your plan is still a valid one though.

With your set up, a vacuum pump attached to the oil feed into the tiger loop would be most useful. They are reasonably priced here and consist of a 2 litre vessel to which a hose is connected to the pipe, and the vessel is then evacuated by a manual pump. Depending on the length and rise of your feed, it may be too musch to expect the burner pump to suck it through, and running a dry pump will ruin it.

Sponsored Links
With your set up, a vacuum pump attached to the oil feed into the tiger loop would be most useful. They are reasonably priced here and consist of a 2 litre vessel to which a hose is connected to the pipe, and the vessel is then evacuated by a manual pump. Depending on the length and rise of your feed, it may be too musch to expect the burner pump to suck it through, and running a dry pump will ruin it.
This?

Possibly the line and filter are clear and the only issue is that the pump isn't pulling the oil up from tank?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back