oiled hinges - now very noisy......

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
strange issue
i have some toolstation blank butt hinges, i replaced on all the doors last year

one door made a small squeaking noise , so i put a bit of 3-1 with PTFE oil on them and now the noise has increased significantly - i then tried GT40 , no change , some cooking oil , no change

sounds like the door is rubbing against the wood work - i had this on one of the door and had to readjust , but that was immediately i replaced the hinges

i cannot see anywhere where thats an issue here , a small gap all the way down the door as it closes, last night i used a torch to check the gap as well , in case i was going made

before i take the door off and investigate , i wondered if anyone has experienced issues with the hinges.

thanks

Sponsored Links
If it's not the hinge pin creaking and it's not wood on wood, how about the metal plate of the hinge moving against the wood it's screwed to?

Slacken the screws slightly and see if the noise changes

where the hinges exact replacement hole'thickness and size wise ??
if the hinges are out off line so the pivot points dont exactly line up they will "bark" as the out off line hinges are forced round and jump
when hinges are badly fitted there will tend to be a "good point" the point the hinges were fitted where all the hinges are relaxed so iff theres a quiet point on the arc thats where the door was wedged whilst you fitted the hinges

a strait edge along all hinges knuckles should touch all hinge full width with no gaps
try unscrewing all screws half a turn on the door and listen ----if its quiet the hinges are slightly out off line
if still a bit noisy then a further half turn on the frame and get back to us

thanks for that
been on at least a year working fine, to be honest i cant remember now if i did all the 9 doors last year or the year before.

yes the hinges pretty much the same , I did just to be sure - filled all the holes with matchsticks and forced in and glued - then trimmed off
then used a centering drill to pilot hole for all the screws

All the hinges had been shimmed , so i did try and replace those

But I suspect, maybe something happens , door slammed and moved very slightly - which now shows up , becuase of the alignment issue

a strait edge along all hinges knuckles should touch all hinge full width with no gaps
I have a few straight edges , so can try that , later today hopefully
try unscrewing all screws half a turn on the door and listen ----if its quiet the hinges are slightly out off line
I'll do that now

Sponsored Links
wow - brilliant , thanks so much for that, i would have been at it for hours and taken the door off, as i did not know what i was looking for

i just turned the top screw of the top hinge on the frame , and heard a creak , only turned maybe an eighth of a turn or less

now no noise

thanks for that , i think as all the other 5 screws are up tight - i can leave now

just be aware that when you start to loosen screws, they can start to clash when closed so a compromise if the rest are good---- then if one gets in the way then just remove and leave till things need further attention and iff your lucky will never happen ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back