Old Victorian tiles covered by vinyl floor tiles

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, i live in a victorian house split into 5 flats. we have awful balck and white tiles on the floor in the hall. in a cupboard we can see the oringal lovely victorian tiles. My question is how can we remove these tiles and the glue underneath to see what the state of the tiles are like. The current floor tiles are quick thick and crack up. there seems to be lots of yellow dried glue though which was used to stick them down is a product to remove this and not damage the original tiles?

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
hmmm, its the entrance hall so its probably 5 foot wide by 10 foot. roughly as its not square

cheers

Well you need to scrape the vinyl tiles up with a floor scraper. Then use a hot air gun to soften the adhesive and scrape up with a small sraper. Any glue residue remaining will need to be cleaned up with a scouring pad and solvent thinners. Not a nice job ahead of you.

Sponsored Links
hmmm doesnt sound like fun, would a normal builder be able to do this or would it need to be a specilist? Would you know about costs for someone to do this etc ?

cheers

To be honest, it's not that clear what the situation is from such a small sample. What you can see though is that the tiles underneath don't seem to be in to good a condition. It could be that someone has skimmed over damaged or sunk tiles and then stuck the vinyl tiles on top. From what I've seen so far, I'd be thinking about forgetting trying to salvage the old tiles and rip the lot up and start a fresh. It would cost you a fair bit to get someone to take that floor up to try and reveal the old tiles without causing damage of some sort and I think you might be disappointed with the result.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back