Open up fireplace

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My 2 bed Victorian terrace has boarded up fireplace in the spare room with a small square hole covered by a grate. I'd like to open this up--not to create a working chimney but--for aesthetic reasons and stick a fireplace surround on it.

Who would typically do this type of work and how much (roughly) might it cost? Ta

Attachments

• IMG_2407.JPEG
    IMG_2407.JPEG
    181.3 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_2408.JPEG
    IMG_2408.JPEG
    365.7 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_2409.JPEG
    IMG_2409.JPEG
    268.5 KB · Views: 30
Sponsored Links
You could easily do it if you have the time unless you are not into diy. Its not a difficult job.

What i would do is open it up yourself first. Just take ur time. And then see where you go from there.

Thanks for reply. I'm up for having a go myself, but the way it's been bricked up seems a bit strange to me. The 'floor' of the chimney isn't at the room's floor level but instead starts at the bottom of the small square opening. So there seems to be about 400mm high of solid rubble.

It does look to have an arched brick lintel. But as I say the new bricks (as shown in the pic) don't seem to go down to the floor.

Attachments

• IMG_2416.JPEG
    IMG_2416.JPEG
    408 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_2417.JPEG
    IMG_2417.JPEG
    394 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_2418.JPEG
    IMG_2418.JPEG
    387.4 KB · Views: 26
further to above post, i'm curious as to why someone would 'build up' the height of the chimney to ~400mm above the floor?
1723621055001.jpeg

is there any way all that rubble/build up would be supporting something? i'm worried if i remove it i'll cause some issue

1723621132778.jpeg

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back