Opentherm compatibility

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Looking at a new boiler as the old one has failed. Looking at the ideal vogue c32. However whilst it's has opentherm support as does my current thermostat, wiser kit 1 I'm trying to find out if they are truly compatible? Anyone know or have experience of this combination?

Sponsored Links
OT is a protocol that is implemented differently by various manufacturers.

Call wiser and ask about the compatibility with the boiler you're considering.

OT is a protocol that is implemented differently by various manufacturers.

Call wiser and ask about the compatibility with the boiler you're considering.
Thanks, I've already spoken with Drayton/Wiser and they're telling me there was a change to the OT spec in 2021 which they haven't implemented and don't have any dates for and to speak with the boiler manufacturer about compatibility.

"Our Wiser Kit 1 was certified by the OpenTherm Association in 2017 and still functions with OpenTherm combi boilers.

However, OpenTherm changed their standards in 2021 and unfortunately, it was not possible to modify the Wiser Kit 1 to the new standard. We have therefore renamed the OpenTherm module as “Communication Module” to make clear that the Wiser Kit 1 is no longer certified to the new OpenTherm Standard. It still of course continues to work to the old standard.

Unfortunately, we do not know how each boiler will behave when run by our module (some newer combi boilers may require OT controls that run to the new 2021 standard).

Therefore, we would advise that you speak to the boiler manufacturer and ask how the particular boiler that you are looking at purchasing will behave when run by the system that uses communication module (OT module) that runs to the 2017 standard."

I've tried with Ideal but am getting:

"Its down to the merchant to confirm what is compatible with your boiler, we can not advise on this as we don’t sell to public. Its not that we don’t know, we just can’t advise as it doesn’t have to be an ideal control for you to use. So they will be a lot of different ones that can work for your boiler, so they would need to assess this with you. We only manufacturer boilers we don’t do any installs so we can only advise on boiler repairs ."

which is of absolutely of no use and quite frankly is making me want to avoid Ideal with that sort of useless response as I wasn't asking for a recommendation rather a specific question on compatibility between 2 products. I was hoping some folks out their may have some real world experience of this combination.

Sponsored Links
Thanks, I've already spoken with Drayton/Wiser and they're telling me there was a change to the OT spec in 2021 which they haven't implemented and don't have any dates for and to speak with the boiler manufacturer about compatibility.

"Our Wiser Kit 1 was certified by the OpenTherm Association in 2017 and still functions with OpenTherm combi boilers.

However, OpenTherm changed their standards in 2021 and unfortunately, it was not possible to modify the Wiser Kit 1 to the new standard. We have therefore renamed the OpenTherm module as “Communication Module” to make clear that the Wiser Kit 1 is no longer certified to the new OpenTherm Standard. It still of course continues to work to the old standard.

Unfortunately, we do not know how each boiler will behave when run by our module (some newer combi boilers may require OT controls that run to the new 2021 standard).

Therefore, we would advise that you speak to the boiler manufacturer and ask how the particular boiler that you are looking at purchasing will behave when run by the system that uses communication module (OT module) that runs to the 2017 standard."

I've tried with Ideal but am getting:

"Its down to the merchant to confirm what is compatible with your boiler, we can not advise on this as we don’t sell to public. Its not that we don’t know, we just can’t advise as it doesn’t have to be an ideal control for you to use. So they will be a lot of different ones that can work for your boiler, so they would need to assess this with you. We only manufacturer boilers we don’t do any installs so we can only advise on boiler repairs ."

which is of absolutely of no use and quite frankly is making me want to avoid Ideal with that sort of useless response as I wasn't asking for a recommendation rather a specific question on compatibility between 2 products. I was hoping some folks out their may have some real world experience of this combination.

It's not our product!
It's the third party product!
But they share the same technology!
Yeah....
But.....

And so on....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back