Opinions wanted please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Im trying to buy a house with an extension that wasnt signed off.

The extension was under permitted development. Apparently it was inspected at verious stages of the build but wasnt signed off when completed.

Our solicitor (i use this term lighlty) is saying a normal indemnity policy isnt sufficient. Because the process for building control was started but not finished (basically saying the council are aware so it would invalidate the policy)

From what ive read online the seems a fairly normal thing and and indemnity policy is the easiest and most straightforward way do deal with this.

Any opinions on this ?

Sponsored Links
Why can't the seller just get it signed off? They've already paid BC so if it's not possible that should throw up what's outstanding. An indemnity only works if BC are unaware of the build.

No idea why.

After a call to the solicitors this morning a bespoke policy is needed but the sellers solicitor needs to get it. So at the minute the ball is in their court.

You should still try to find out why it was not signed off, are you confident it's been built properly? An indemnity in reality is merely a box ticking process that only covers the cost of legal action if taken against the owner (which is so unlikely unless the structure is about to collapse) it has no other monetary value ie won't pay for anything not built right.

Sponsored Links
The extension will remain unauthorised, and should not be occupied unless/until it has been certified as complete. It may be structurally sound but is it safe in terms of fire safety and means of escape? It will impact your insurance, you will have incomplete building works.

Apparently it was inspected at verious stages of the build but wasnt signed off when completed.
You need to be asking yourself why the building control certificate was never issued.

If it was easy to obtain it would’ve been, so that tells me there’s something non compliant which requires difficult and or expensive remedial work.

I would be asking for either the remedial work done and the building cert issued or get the truth of what needs to be done and lower the price by the cost of the remedial work.

If the property surveys OK and you can get a mortgage on it OK, IMO the only real risk is if BC take enforcement action. IMHO the insurance angle is a bit of a red herring unless the Ts & Cs of your insurance policy specifically say that any part of the building without signoff is uninsured. I have lived in a house without a completion cert on very major older works (which may or may not have been signed off - council couldn't tell me - they suggested it was older than their accessible records) and my insurances have never had such a clause.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back