OSB FINISH

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,
I've recently had a new office/garden shed built and the interior walls & ceiling are finished in OSB. My question is what would be the best way to protect the wood from moisture and give it a durable finish? thanks in advance.

Attachments

• shed.jpg
    shed.jpg
    181.4 KB · Views: 52
Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Durable against what? They can be left as if you don't mind the look. Or just painted if you want them white/coloured. Or boarded over with plasterboard if you want a nice finish.

BTW they're OSB or sterling boards not particle board.

edit: are you in the UK, they look like three pin plugs but hard to tell for sure?

Durable against what? They can be left as if you don't mind the look. Or just painted if you want them white/coloured. Or boarded over with plasterboard if you want a nice finish.

BTW they're OSB or sterling boards not particle board.

edit: are you in the UK, they look like three pin plugs but hard to tell for sure?
My main concern is moisture, we will be painting but wanted to know the best way to go about it, e.g. primer, filler, sanding and paint.
My mistake, thankyou for the clarification.
Yes we are based in the UK.

Sponsored Links
For outdoor timber, I usually use fence stain, which leaves a waxy, water-repellent film, and adds colour, and is very easy to apply and recoat with no sanding, primer or filler required. Cheap to buy. End grain needs extra protection, and you can apply multiple coats before fixing. You can see when it is weathered and needs recoating.

Outdoor timber needs to be protected from damp, with good eaves and gutters, and protection at the foot of the wall.

At the end of my shed I fitted a 150mm stainless "skirting" painted to match, and it seems to work OK, protecting against rainsplash.

One side I stained mottled dark green, to hide it behind the trees and shrubs.

For outdoor timber, I usually use fence stain, which leaves a waxy, water-repellent film, and adds colour, and is very easy to apply and recoat with no sanding, primer or filler required. Cheap to buy. End grain needs extra protection, and you can apply multiple coats before fixing. You can see when it is weathered and needs recoating.

Outdoor timber needs to be protected from damp, with good eaves and gutters, and protection at the foot of the wall.

At the end of my shed I fitted a 150mm stainless "skirting" painted to match, and it seems to work OK, protecting against rainsplash.

One side I stained mottled dark green, to hide it behind the trees and shrubs.
thanks, this is solely for interior wood

Ah, I see you've edited it..

If you want cheap and easy, emulsion.

But masonry paint is more durable, and will withstand cleaning, for example in a garage or workshop.

Why do they need protection from moisture? Is it unheated and prone to condensation? Or are you washing down in there?

Ah, I see you've edited it..

If you want cheap and easy, emulsion.

But masonry paint is more durable, and will withstand cleaning, for example in a garage or workshop.

Why do they need protection from moisture? Is it unheated and prone to condensation? Or are you washing down in there?
we want to create the smoothest finish really (I know not ideal with OSB). We will be using it as a bit of a dog room/wash room aswell

You could run a sander over it all to get it a bit smoother, silicone any joints and then what about just a weatherproof wood paint? Something like Ronseal at the lower end of the budget you could just slap on the OSB. Or maybe something from the likes of Sikkens at the top end with suitable primer etc.

As we now know it's indoors it doesn't really need a weatherproof treatment.

He wants to wash dogs down in there so presumably that means they'll be getting splashed by water at least.

You could run a sander over it all to get it a bit smoother, silicone any joints and then what about just a weatherproof wood paint? Something like Ronseal at the lower end of the budget you could just slap on the OSB. Or maybe something from the likes of Sikkens at the top end with suitable primer etc.
This is what we are thinking of doing at the moment, for a primer I was looking at Zinsser B.I.N, followed by a couple coats of Bedec barn paint

you could just use a stain varnish as the different woodchips soak in differently and makes a good look, bit like rag rollering. try the look on a spare peace. or try a thin miss coat of emulsion colour to suit.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back