outside electrics

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hallo,i need some advice for electrical work to budget,i need power to a garage(40metres away) which will end up feeding a hot tub(20a) and infrared sauna and lights and sockets for various things.
Anyone know how it should be done ie consumer unit/rcd/cable etc?Thanks.
Also,i know about the part P,i just need to know whether it would be worth getting a tradesman to do it,moneywise...Thanks!

Sponsored Links
kcbc said:
i just need to know whether it would be worth getting a tradesman to do it,moneywise...Thanks!

Then answer me this question first. Do you have any idea how to go about the job you are intending?

If the answer is no, then no amount of money is worth you doing a poor job and risking lifes.

If the answer is yes, then carry on reading.

The cable will either be buried, or suspended. For burial the easiest solution is to use SWA. This needs to be buried atleast 450mm deep and covered by a warning tape. Before deciding on the CSA for the cable, you need to determine the maximum demand (the most current you will require at any one time).

You will want a consumer unit with RCD protection at the outbuilding and that should be connected at your house via a switch-fuse if the demand is high or from a dedicated MCB on the non-RCD side if the demand is relatively low.

davy_owen_88 said:
kcbc said:
i just need to know whether it would be worth getting a tradesman to do it,moneywise...Thanks!

Then answer me this question first. Do you have any idea how to go about the job you are intending?

If the answer is no, then no amount of money is worth you doing a poor job and risking lifes.

If the answer is yes, then carry on reading.

The cable will either be buried, or suspended. For burial the easiest solution is to use SWA. This needs to be buried atleast 450mm deep and covered by a warning tape. Before deciding on the CSA for the cable, you need to determine the maximum demand (the most current you will require at any one time).

You will want a consumer unit with RCD protection at the outbuilding and that should be connected at your house via a switch-fuse if the demand is high or from a dedicated MCB on the non-RCD side if the demand is relatively low.

Nooooooo.I meant getting a tradesman in to do it,just how much and the cost of materials(roughly)-damn,i wouldnt do that,i'm a chippy-just dont wanna be ripped off :LOL:

Sponsored Links
hia

bit dificult to give estimates of prices without knowing the setup of your existing system, normal way to do this job is as already said

swa buried down the garden into consumer unit in shed, feeding the circuits you require, but

not advisable to add this to a rewireable board if you have one in place, and your current earthing arrangements would need to be checked to make sure they comply.

if board changes are required and earth alterations you would be looking at £1000.00 plus with certification

if your current arrangements are ok you could probably say £5-600ish obviously all depending on the area you are in

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back