Oven and hob

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have been doing some renovation work on our kitchen.
We have a new electric oven and a new induction hob.
Both are 6mm wired and share the same junction box via a 32amp mcb.....
The oven is 3200w or 16amp.
The hob is 2.3kw -3.2kw.

Both are connected to a 45amp dual conection plate that 6mm wire runs up into the ceiling and then into a 30amp round junction box that the original oven was wired to...
When i turned on the 32amp fuse the system tripped......

Would the hob and the oven require seperate circuits to work.....

Sponsored Links
When i turned on the 32amp fuse the system tripped......
What exactly tripped, was it the 32A MCB, or an RCD?

Both appliances should be fine connected to a 32A cooker circuit due to the 'diversity' principle - although having a 30A junction box in the circuit isn't ideal.

The most important issue though is the trip - presumably you just switched on the circuit after wiring in the appliances?
If the MCB tripped without turning the appliances on, your issue is with the wiring up!

Sponsored Links
The rcd tripped when i flicked up the mcb.
I believe that the 6mm wiring from the CU 32amp up into the kitchen ceiling to junction box, then 6mm wiring feeds the 45amp dual connection plate.
The hob is wired with 6mm to the connection plate, then 6mm wire runs from the first connection plate feeds into a 2nd dual connection plate and the oven takes its supply from that...
I will try and get photos later.....

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back