Overflow pipe leads into wall but can't be seen exiting outside the house

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi folks

The overflow pipe from the cold water tank in my roof space can be seen going into the wall (see picture) but it cannot be seen exiting on the outside of the house.

Why is it like this? Could it be connected to a drain somewhere with the wall cavity? Could some cowboy plumbers have been doing stuff in the house before I bought it?

The house was built about 50 years ago, of cavity wall construction, block inside and out. Will the walls in the roof space also be cavity walls, or might they be single thickness?

David

Attachments

• overflow into wall.jpg
    overflow into wall.jpg
    269.5 KB · Views: 41
Sponsored Links
Is it connected to somewhere near the top of your cold water tank? It looks like an overflow pipe.

It comes out the bottom of the tank, connected to a vertical tube inside the tank. If the ball cock fails and the tank keeps filling up the water level rises over the top over that vertical pipe and spills into it. From there it is supposed to flow through that pipe and exit outside the building I think.

Sponsored Links
There isn't a redundant pipe sticking out of the house anywhere. There is one for the central heater header tank and no others.

A couple of weeks ago the ballcock on the tank failed to shut off the water supply. Water spilled over into the overflow pipe, which leaked at a bend which I think should have been sealed up using a solvent join. So on two bits of evidence it looks like a plumber was not doing a good job when fitting the overflow (i.e. didn't use solvent to seal the pipe joint, and didn't cut through a wall to drain the overflow outside the house). There were some other examples of poor plumbing which we found when I had a new boiler put in a few years ago.

Water flooded the top side of a ceiling and dripped out of an electrical ceiling rose into the bathroom, which I noticed quickly so there wasn't any serious damage. I'm just trying to figure out what to do to with the overflow.

I will try pouring a litre or two of water into the overflow pipe and see what happens.

Normally it would exit the wall on the outside, that way it would be noticed but not do any damage. Can't believe it was left like that!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back