Paint over CT1?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
It says it’s over paintable , but week after applying paint it’s still tacky?

Sponsored Links
24h after applying CT1 use waterbased paint only is what they recommend.
I'd leave a bit longer before painting if possible.

The waterbased paint is still wet? I have never encountered that.

The first time that I encountered MS polymers such as CT1, they had been used by the sash window restorer. I applied oil based paint directly over it- it stayed tacky for days. I hit it with a coat of waterbased undercoat and it was fine the next day.

Another job, I used CT1 to fill the gaps between a customer's floor and skirting. A year later I went back to decorate. I had forgotten that I had used CT1 and applied a coat of oil based eggshell to the skirting. It stayed tacky until I hit it with waterbased paint.

I recently come across a team of decorators that tried to paint over CT1 a couple of hours after applying it. They used waterbased paints. The paint dried, but crazed. I did try explaining that they need to wait until the next day, but it got lost in translation.

Sponsored Links
CTI is use around windows or along skirting sometimes. Paint should not be wet? What sort of paint? Was it gloss or emulsion. If gloss was it acrylic or alkid?

CTI is use around windows or along skirting sometimes. Paint should not be wet? What sort of paint? Was it gloss or emulsion. If gloss was it acrylic or alkid?
Water based garden furniture paints, it’s not wet but stays tacky.

Try some clear water based varnish over the CT1. Presumably, there must be something in the furniture paint that the CT1 doesn't like. Once the varnish has cured, further coats of the furniture paint should be fine.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back