Paint recommendations for old lime plaster?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have fully stripped the old lining paper from 2 rooms in our house. The paper was laid quite poorly and came away easily, however it revealed old lime plaster which has quite a few hairline cracks. I have bought a lime based filler to smooth over the cracks and we intend to just paint this room. Do i need to use a breathable paint like clay paint or graphenstone/earthborn or is a water based low VOC paint ok (Coat paint)?
Are water based paints in any way breathable for old walls?

We had to have the old lathe ceiling pulled down and replaced - this is now gypsum plaster on the ceiling, so the room is a bit of a mix of plasters now.

Attachments

• IMG_6735.JPG
    IMG_6735.JPG
    178.4 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_6738.JPG
    IMG_6738.JPG
    251.1 KB · Views: 29
Sponsored Links
Just so many on offer. Just have to pick one from local suppliers where you can go look at the colours

When I started our renovation of mostly lime plastered 1920 build, I was somewhat obsessed with using breathable paint.

Keim on the ceilings (i didn't check at the time but turns out they have all been over boarded n skimmed) , earthborn on the walls (after sanding back previous paint layers).

Given in the previous 30-40 years it appears owners haven't paid much attention to type of paint used, with seemingly little negative effect I'm somewhat less precious now.

Bought a load of lime plaster filler but ended up giving it away as I never used it.

Earthborn has a lovely matt finish, but reality is, its far from durable.

Heads up on lime plaster repairs for bigger areas if needed/where blown. Thistle One Coat plaster does a rather grand job / can be used in a similar fashion to the original.

Big fan of the Toupret "interior filler" product for filling in hairline cracks (bagged, mix it yourself)

Naturally, your mileage may vary, and the heritage types will call it bad cowboy advice, but I've had absolutely zero issues in 4 years ontop of lime.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back