Painting Bathroom Ceiling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello All

Firstly apologies as I have read quite a few of the other topics relating to this subject on the forum and whilst I think i now have an idea I want to make sure I get this as right as possible.

When we moved into our home a few years ago we had the bathroom plastered throughout, and then tiled 3 of the walls and painted the ceiling.

We painted the ceiling using emulsion directly onto the dry skimmed ceiling. This was fine for about a year and a half however then started cracking and peeling.

After recieving advice I scrapped of the areas which were peeling (came off in decent siize sections) back to the plaster. I then used an oil based undercoat directly onto the plaster once dried I then applied 2 coats of emmulsion. After a few months a number of brown spots appeared on the ceiling in the area I undercoated. I was advised that this was just the oil coming out of the paint and it wiped clean with water and a little bleach.

The paint in this area however has again started to crack an peel (images below). The area is directly above the bath/shower and the room does get wet when in use.

From reading the other posts I am thinking the following steps
1. scrape of the craking/peeling paint
2. Sand area and couple of inches into the area around
3. Prep area with acrylic primer (can anyone recommend)
4. Paint area with Dulux Trade Eggshell (coats as required)

Thanks for taking the time to read this and any advice is appreciated.

Thanks Again
Darren

Sponsored Links
Well, peeling paint just doesn't excite us.

Ok I wonder what condition the plasterboard is in? Remember it's porous so moisture will go into and through it - into the loft? If it's been very damp maybe the plasterboard itself is "rotted".

Your suggestions are ok, but maybe a dedicated bathroom paint might be better. I think there are some that are quite glossy so don't absorb the condensation, and I remember using one once that absorbed the moisture (anticon).

The stains etc do seem a bit odd.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back