Painting emulsion over mould

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Quite a specific question I have to be answered.

I'm decorating my living room and have noticed some black mould spots on the sill above the trickle vents on the patio door. I've checked out the steps in terms of tackling it - mould spray application then an anti mould primer. However, I want to apply a coloured emulsion paint to the whole room and need to know if there are any anti mould paints/primers that can be painted over with emulsion. Some, like Ronseal, say not to do this as it prevents the anti mould paint from working. Surely there must be a way to prevent the mould and apply the coloured emulsion that you want?!?

Any help / info / advice greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Buy vc175 and add to your paint.
There was another manufacturer of mould inhibitor but I can't remember who. Look up

Yeah, I'm thinking I could do the mould killer spray then apply a Zinsser primer, like BIN Aqua primer. In all honesty, I don't know what to apply following the mould killer spray that would enable me to emulsion over it.

Sponsored Links
If you spray mould killer on then paint over with emulsion.
Only problem you may have is staining through so you would then need a stain blocked like BIN.
Test a bit. If no staining bleeds through when dry crack on.
Assuming it's surface mould then you need to deal with condensation by using a dehumidifier.
Stop drying washing inside house without a dehumidifier ect. If you don't control condensation eventually the mould will come back no matter what you use to treat.
Emulsion has preserver in as standard anyway to stop paint going off. Not strong enough to kill off existing mould though but small amounts can be painted over

Zinnser 123 - it'll prime the area stained by mould, block it out and it contains biocide, mould will not grow on it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back