Painting inside a damp cupboard

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a small under-the-stairs cupboard which gets a bit mouldy. I'm going to repaint it. Is there any particular "anti-mould/damp" paint I should use or just the bog standard stuff?

Thank you.

Sponsored Links
I can't unfortunately. So I just put in crystals, and use a dehumidifier every so often which keeps it under control.

Sponsored Links
I don't know if that would help as the door just opens out onto my little porch... There is an air-brick thing in that wall but not inside the cupboard.

Attachments

• 20240716_135931.jpg
    20240716_135931.jpg
    202.8 KB · Views: 34
  • 20240716_135941.jpg
    20240716_135941.jpg
    192.2 KB · Views: 35
  • 20240716_135946.jpg
    20240716_135946.jpg
    152.8 KB · Views: 36
The water is coming from somewhere. Is it a leak? A damp floor? Condensation from an adjacent steamy room? Wet laundry?

I suspect the op is going to paint the cupboard whatever anyone says.

You can use a Dulux Damp Seal. This is available as water-based, which will be more pleasant to apply in such a confined area - and allow to get the emulsion on quicker.

No doubt oil-based/solvent based versions are still available.

Anyhow, this will not solve your problem.

It will only mask the problem.

You might get a year out of it. You might not get five minutes out of it.

Anyway, back to JohnD.

The water is coming from somewhere. Is it a leak? A damp floor? Condensation from an adjacent steamy room? Wet laundry?

So it's under my neighbour's stairs, the stairs which go up to his flat. Perhaps because there's no ventilation in the cupboard itself that's why it is getting damp? Would drilling a few holes in the outside wall help?

I suspect the op is going to paint the cupboard whatever anyone says.

You can use a Dulux Damp Seal. This is available as water-based, which will be more pleasant to apply in such a confined area - and allow to get the emulsion on quicker.

No doubt oil-based/solvent based versions are still available.

Anyhow, this will not solve your problem.

It will only mask the problem.

You might get a year out of it. You might not get five minutes out of it.

Anyway, back to JohnD.

The OP is reading and taking advice, so you suspect wrongly.

So it's under my neighbour's stairs, the stairs which go up to his flat. Perhaps because there's no ventilation in the cupboard itself that's why it is getting damp? Would drilling a few holes in the outside wall help?

The OP is reading and taking advice, so you suspect wrongly.
Good. Glad I'm wrong.

It's an odd thing to say, perhaps keep your suspicions to yourself until an OP says something to justify it. The cupboard is currently painted and the paint has stayed on no problem; it's just the mould which is an issue.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back