painting pebbledash or?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We've got an extension that must be close to 100 years old. It's pebbledash but actually looking at biit closer, it might be sparcast?

extension.png

As you can see it looks very tired and all the black stuff on there is a bit depressing.

To my untrained eye, it looks like it's in alright shape, there doesn't look like any blown areas but I don't know what I'm really looking for.

The black areas are a bit weird, I don't know what it is but it is something that won't come off with a brush.
extension closeup.png

As I'm writing this, I'm wondering if it was originally painted black and the rain has washed it away over time? In the first picture you can't really see but at the top it's got the dark colour underneath the guttering too.

One last picture where there is some green algae or something growing, just above the stone line. It might be worth scrubbing this out before painting?
extension closeup2.png

But to honest, there's hardly anything there.

So first off, this is sparcast?

Secondly I've been using the search and writing down the tips for how to paint this, when I realised the thread was from 2005 and so I'm not sure if the product (piolite) even exists anymore or has been overtaken by newer technology.

What's the best in the market for painting this sort of material?

There was mention of a 10" roller again any newer recommendations?

Any other general advice (got a tower coming in this weekend) about this sort of job, it's all appreciated.

Thanks,
Anthony

Sponsored Links
Hiyers, so I found this Abicide at the local DIY emporium, tried it on an area of the darkened pebbledash neat and apart from some hissing sound from the liquid it didn't do anything really do anything to the colour (it may have been on there too long?)
Is there a better solution than abicide because it looks like it's mainly for green algae etc. (although it does say it can be used on black fungal stuff too.)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back