Painting water based satinwood over oil based

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to paint over some old yellowed oil-based gloss with water-based satinwood. The first room I did using Zinsser permawhite. It said on the tin that it was self-priming so I didn’t use a primer. It’s had several months to cure and I can easily scrape it off with my fingernail.

The next room I did a lot more research and prep. I sanded down the gloss, cleaned it with sugar soap, applied two coats of Zinsser 123 as an adhesion primer, and it’s basically the same. In fact I peeled a section of paint that was about 2 inch wide accidently when removing the painting tape.

Would I be better using an oil-based primer like Zinsser B-I-N? I figured since the problem was oil paint that adding oil-based primer wouldn’t help but maybe this is different?

There’s some paint on the can that has dried and I absolutely cannot scrape it off no matter how hard I try, it would be really nice if it stuck to what I’m actually painting that well...

Sponsored Links
Yeah. Use BIN.
The manufacturers don't like scratch tests. I think its a good test showing how well paint is stuck.
Old oil paints are hard for waterbased paints to stick to

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back