PAM Three Phase Motor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All, been to look at connecting an old three phase motor today. It is 13.4kW and is a PAM (pole amplitude modulation) motor, meaning it can have two speeds but only has one set of windings. These motors are a new one on me, and I am wondering if it is possible to start these motors on star-delta starting, as obviously starting on delta is going to cause a huge current inrush.

It does look like it was connected DOL previously as it only has a 4 core cable (3 phases and earth) attached to it. It is also wired as delta configuration.

Any info on these motors would be appreciated. The rating plate etc photos are attached. I can not see how you could change the speed as only 3 sets of windings. I know if you wanted to change it on the go you would fit an oil submerged selector switch, but unsure on the motor connection with this.

The two speeds available according to the plate is 1460RPM or 970RPM. The customer will be wanting the faster speed. The fan is driving a large fan.

Thank you!

Attachments

• PXL_20240725_162809122.jpg
    PXL_20240725_162809122.jpg
    392.2 KB · Views: 54
  • PXL_20240725_162109705.jpg
    PXL_20240725_162109705.jpg
    627.7 KB · Views: 60
Sponsored Links
I think you may have a 4/6 pole machine - that would add up with the speeds you quote & I think the wiring would be like this:

Attachments

• Connection-diagram-YY-for-4-6-pole-changing-winding.png
    Connection-diagram-YY-for-4-6-pole-changing-winding.png
    21.9 KB · Views: 50

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back