Parapet Wall Copings wrong size

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All, at my parents house they have a small parapet wall between a flat garage roof and pitched extension roof. They have a water leak in the ceiling under the pitched section. Looking above this area the copings the builder has fitted are the same width as the wall so I'm thinking with no drip edge that this is the cause of the leak. The verge and tiles all look OK to me. I was thinking of dressing the whole thing in lead but have never done that before and would appreciate advice on this.

Attachments

• 20241007_100451.jpg
    20241007_100451.jpg
    361.2 KB · Views: 45
  • 20241007_100445.jpg
    20241007_100445.jpg
    406 KB · Views: 45
  • 20241007_100113.jpg
    20241007_100113.jpg
    161.3 KB · Views: 43
Sponsored Links
Hi All, at my parents house they have a small parapet wall between a flat garage roof and pitched extension roof. They have a water leak in the ceiling under the pitched section. Looking above this area the copings the builder has fitted are the same width as the wall so I'm thinking with no drip edge that this is the cause of the leak. The verge and tiles all look OK to me. I was thinking of dressing the whole thing in lead but have never done that before and would appreciate advice on this.
Dressing in lead would make more sense, as that is an odd sized wall (width).

Thanks noseall, the wall is about 50 inches long so I think it can be done in one piece of lead and a small saddle piece going up the original house wall. Do you know how I could fix the lead to the coping?

Sponsored Links
Today had a second look at the roof and lifted up the lead flashing. The first 7 tiles in the row under the flashing are slightly shorter than the rest as that bit of wall is slightly forward of the main house wall. So the roofer has cut the top edge of these tiles off. To mechanically fix these tiles as they have no nibs to sit behind the battens the roofer has used an angle grinder to cut a slot in the tile which is almost the width of the tile just for 1 nail to be fitted. Each nail is sitting about 5mm proud of the tile pressing into the lead. I suspect water has got behind the flashing and dropped down these large cut slots. The slots are about 2/3 the way up the lead. This looks poor to me how they have done this. Just thought I would let you all know what I found.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back