part p regs concerning kitchen rings etc

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
just been told by a pro that the updated regs require:

i) a separate ring for kitchens
ii) that sockets and switched fcus within a metre of a sink require rcb protection
iii) that an fcu for a cooker hood cannot be placed above a hob, regardless of distance

got a feeling I was being sold something on at least one of the above...anyone got definitive knowledge of the truth or otherwise of those, or maybe a link to a summary of said regs?

thanks

Sponsored Links
leroy said:
just been told by a pro that the updated regs require:
i) a separate ring for kitchens
Not a bad idea, but certainly not in the regs.
leroy said:
ii) that sockets and switched fcus within a metre of a sink require rcb protection
That's RCD. Sockets that can reasonably be expected to supply portable equipment outdoors are required to be provided with supplementary RCD protection. (From Reg 471-16-01) But that protection can be just as easily provided via an RCD plug-in adaptor. And no mention of kitchens. There is also no regulation about the siting of socket-outlets in the vicinity of sinks although the NICEIC recommend a horizontal separation of 300mm.
leroy said:
iii) that an fcu for a cooker hood cannot be placed above a hob, regardless of distance
Well, it would be foolish to site an isolation device above a hob, where it can't be reached in the event of a fire, but if it's above the cooker hood itself then there's no problem.

You've been talking to a kitchen fitter, haven't you?

Oh and, by the way, the last two updates (Feb 2002 and Mar 2004) have not changed any of these requirements.

Sponsored Links
thanks for info dingbat

the third item was indeed the one I suspected might be kosher

actually was an niceic registered electrician, probably looking to recover some of his christmas costs, and obviously not counting on me having regularly surfed these boards in the last few months.

I think he was trying to invoke the 'new part P' regs to persuade me, while I was fairly certain that they didn't deal with installation specifics per se so much as rules relating to practitioners and categories of work.

I politely questioned his 'knowledge' while he was here but thought I'd double check by referring to impartial expertise before deciding not to use him...

cheers mucho for confirmation

Get him back in.

Ask him to show you where it says all these things.

Entice him with questions like "What else should I have put right at the same time?"

Waste as much of the arrogant, lying, cheating, defrauding b******'s time as possible.

And then make a formal complaint to NICEIC.

ban-all-sheds said:
Get him back in.

Ask him to show you where it says all these things.

Entice him with questions like "What else should I have put right at the same time?"

Waste as much of the arrogant, lying, cheating, defrauding b******'s time as possible.

And then make a formal complaint to NICEIC.

Or, be a reasonable, normal human being and ask somebody else to quote. Confrontation is likely to be harder on you than it is on him - life is too short for you to have to spend time learning everybody else's job.

Confrontation is more fun.

And in your own home likely to be safer than in a pub where someone might think you need to be "learnt" a lesson. ;)

dingbat said:
Or, be a reasonable, normal human being and ask somebody else to quote. Confrontation is likely to be harder on you than it is on him - life is too short for you to have to spend time learning everybody else's job.
So you think it's alright for a supposedly trusted professional to lie to people in order to generate more work, do you?

Your NICEIC assimilation has truly kicked in, hasn't it.

ban-all-sheds said:
dingbat said:
So you think it's alright for a supposedly trusted professional to lie to people in order to generate more work, do you?
Don't be ridiculous.
ban-all-sheds said:
Your NICEIC assimilation has truly kicked in, hasn't it.
Don't be ridiculous.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back