Patio cleaning

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Good evening.

The slabs in my patio were laid incorrectly by the builder. The idiot did not lay weed control fabric underneath. So, weeds grow in abundance from between the slabs.

I have pressure washed away the weeds today.
What should the next step? Brush in kiln dried sand in between and then brush in dry mortar and then sprinkle/spray water on top?
I am rying to prevent the weeds from growing again.

Sponsored Links
The weeds won't be growing up from underneath they are caused by seeds landing in the joints and germinating. Dry mortar will crumble and wash out next time the patio is cleaned. I would opt for a strong wet mix and apply with a pointing gun. Should stop the weeds. There are also various jointing compounds in different colours which give a firm finish but at greater cost.

The weeds won't be growing up from underneath they are caused by seeds landing in the joints and germinating. Dry mortar will crumble and wash out next time the patio is cleaned. I would opt for a strong wet mix and apply with a pointing gun. Should stop the weeds. There are also various jointing compounds in different colours which give a firm finish but at greater cost.
It is a bit of a pain going round the patio kneeling down and applying wet mix. I was hoping to be clever :D

Sponsored Links
I know what you are saying, but you will be re-doing it every year if you just brush in
Forgive me but I tried wet mixing and gave up after half an hour. It is way too much work. I have gone down the route of dry mix and then hosing it to make wet.

I have bricks on my driveway and an abundance of weeds growing from in between them. What is the sealing solution here? Pressure wash > Kiln dried sand > Seal with mortar?

Forgive me but I tried wet mixing and gave up after half an hour. It is way too much work. I have gone down the route of dry mix and then hosing it to make wet.

I have bricks on my driveway and an abundance of weeds growing from in between them. What is the sealing solution here? Pressure wash > Kiln dried sand > Seal with mortar?
By 'bricks' do you mean Block Paving? If so, traditionally Kiln Dried Sand was used but it is now preferred to use a 1-4mm Joint Aggregate as it is more free draning and tends to stay in place bettter than sand. A bi-annual dose of glyphoshate weedkiller should keep the weeds at bay.

By 'bricks' do you mean Block Paving? If so, traditionally Kiln Dried Sand was used but it is now preferred to use a 1-4mm Joint Aggregate as it is more free draning and tends to stay in place bettter than sand. A bi-annual dose of glyphoshate weedkiller should keep the weeds at bay.
Yes, I meant to say block paving. Will aggregate brush in between? The builder I used did not lay weed control fabric underneath!

By the way, I have to redo my dry mortar mix in my garden. The mix did not solidify at all even after hosing. I have a feeling that the Blue circle cement is at fault as it is a year old and has been sitting in the shed.

the seeds just grow in the sand, a membrane underneath wouldn't help.

I use roundup about every 6-8 weeks through the summer, and power wash it and resand (kiln dried really fine stuff) maybe every 3 or 4 years

I once dried my own sand off the beech and brushed that in, I think the salt content helped keep the weeds at bay, for maybe a year very very little tried to grow, of course by the following year all the salt would be washed out with rain, and the weeds just came back.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back