Patio doors shifting down the wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Perhaps not my DIY disaster but generally a disaster.

About two months ago I removed the old partly rotten wooden decking behind the house, one board was lying right under the threshold of my patio doors. Two weeks ago I removed a particularly stubborn plank that was screwed to the wall under the threshold and broke a few tiles under the doors in the process, mostly because the wall behind those tiles seem to be just crumbling off by itself. I did not notice the tiles falling out all together as they do now on the photo.

Today I'm having a new deck installed and one of the guys casually mentioned that my patio door are shifting, the WHOLE thing with the frame just shifting down the wall. You can see the huge crack in the sealant on one side and some of the top of the frame bending as the doors are sagging. What the sheer heck is that? The house is about 60 years old but there are no signs of it moving anywhere - no cracks or other problems. But a lot of things in this house from that old decking to indoor electrics seem to be DIYed and a bit wonky but I don't know if that would apply to the patio doors.

I suspect that the whole patio door was propped up by the old decking and maybe even the tiles provided some minor support (because I did not notice the sagging until I broke some of the tiles but I might be wrong) - is it normal for patio doors to rest on the decking like that? If not, could it mean that there is something wrong with the wall under the patio doors? My biggest concern is masonry rot but I'm not sure how to identify it for certain :(

And lastly, could this be fixed by propping up the frame somehow (and how to do it?) and installing new decking? My new decking will be composite so a lot more rot-proof.

Any ideas/past experiences are much appreciated!

Attachments

• 20240725_114229[1].jpg
    20240725_114229[1].jpg
    558.1 KB · Views: 61
  • 20240725_114237[1].jpg
    20240725_114237[1].jpg
    422.9 KB · Views: 49
Sponsored Links
Take the doors off at the hinges.

Remove the sealed units to the sides of the doors.

Loosen the screws that hold it to the wall.

Adjust by levering from below.

Pack under the base with packers, particuularly under the frame and door edges.

Tighten the screws.

Replace the sealed units.

Replace and adjust the doors.

Rake out and replace all sealant.

Done.

You definitely haven't got Masonry Rot, because errrr.... it doesn't exist!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back