Patio Retaining Wall and Steps

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I’ve started a raised patio project and looking for advice regarding the retaining wall and steps.
For the retaining wall I’m digging out 450mm wide and 300mm deep trench to put in a 150mm deep concrete footing in clay soil. The retaining wall will be approx 500mm above ground level.

For the four steps they will have a tread of 500mm and a rise of 180mm. I plan on digging out 1.9m x 4m x 300mm deep hole to pour a 150mm concrete footing slab and then build the steps up from there.

I’ve worked out the total concrete to be about 1.5m3 and plan on mixing it with a cement mixer I’ve got hold of.

I’m looking at just using concrete blocks laid on their side for the wall and steps, tanking the back of the blocks and adding drainage holes and then facing them with the paving I’ll be using (Indian stone).

Please can you offer any advice for this project and if this is the best method to create the steps?

Thanks,
Max
IMG_6496.jpegIMG_6495.jpegIMG_6494.jpeg

Sponsored Links
This is a great website for all paving and landscaping jobs....
Choose Installation Topics on the top row and it has all the info that you need on setting out, drainage, laying, walls etc,
such as steps....
and walls....

Thanks for point me in the right direction, I think I’ll reduce the step treads to 450mm which will reduce the size of the concrete footing slab.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back