Pergola waterproof retractable or roll back cover advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Existing Wall to wall pergola (no legs just attached from side of house to yard wall) roof retractable waterproof cover advice needed.
So far noone has been able to advise me other than building an entire new structure. I only need a waterproof, retractable or roller blind type roof...well I don't know that's why I'm here . It's so that I can be in it even when it's rainy or windy.. (that's fairly common here unfortunately) i could consider replacing it but I only literally need the top , see image) . This seemed like an easy project,..... obviously not, according to some of the tradies I have spoken to I seem to want the impossible. Please help it's driving me crazy. FYI there is gradient to it, it's perfectly horizontal.

Attachments

• IMG_20240703_220543.jpg
    IMG_20240703_220543.jpg
    385.3 KB · Views: 26
Sponsored Links
The fact you want someone that can open/close or be retractable is the issue here.

You could be super-cheap with a tarp or a sun sail of some sort, but it’s not really retractable- but you could take it down and put it up as needed.

A fixed roof is also a possibility with conservatory style polycarbonate roof. Do you know how well the existing structure is fixed into the wall? The wood that’s there doesn’t look in the best of conditions, it might not be able to take the weight of a roof or hold up to the lifting of the structure if wind gets under it.

I have a louvred roof of my pergola which you can open and close, but it didn’t come particularly cheap. I don’t think you’ll find anywhere that makes bespoke sizes or roof only options, as it’s still relatively new/niche. I don’t think the legs add much to the cost.

I'd get some polycarbonate twin wall 10mm minimum thickness, and some rafter bars, you will also need some sort of flashing for where it meets the white wall.

Snapa bars from Clear Amber are a good choice.

As Andy mentioned the structure looks like it's not in the best condition, possibly could do with a ledger board(s) (length of wood) instead of the angle brackets going into the walls, as you can get more fixings into it.

Good luck.

Sponsored Links
You cannot use canvas or similar, because when it rains, the canvas, due to lack of fall - will just simply fill with water, belly down, and eventually split. Anything you add on there, needs to have some slope, so rain runs off. The problem with your present structure, is that it also isn't adequately supported - just four, lightweight metal brackets, holding it all up.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back