Pick n Pluck Foam

S

SammyInnit

Hello All,

I know I can order this stuff off the net but I wanted to do something with it either today or tomorrow but I can't think where to look. Can anyone think of a chain supplier or shop that might carry this in stock?

It's basically for in some tool boxes. I have several laser tools I want to have in one case without banging around.

pick n pluck foam.jpg

Sponsored Links
Maplin might sell cases with this foam in. Or maybe they only sell them with plain uncut foam. They don't seem to sell just the foam.
Audio (i.e. D.J.) shops maybe if you have one nearby?
Otherwise buy some plain foam and cut it yourself.

Maplin might sell cases with this foam in. Or maybe they only sell them with plain uncut foam. They don't seem to sell just the foam.
Audio (i.e. D.J.) shops maybe if you have one nearby?
Otherwise buy some plain foam and cut it yourself.

Everything I've looked at either isn't good enough, the right thickness and would need doubling up at risk of protruding the case I have lined up.

It's a 'systainer' type case. I have several lasers in individual cases which makes it awkward to carry them all. Most of my gear is now in stackable systainers.

I think I'm gonna have a look on the net now. I don't think I'll find anything local suitable.

Something like expanded polyethylene foam would be ideal but it's pricy. Some company called Kaizen of something sell it at inflated prices for this purpose but it's more than I'm willing to pay for a brand name.

http://www.vantainer.com/t-loc-lid-foam-vaulted--fits-i-v-240-p.asp
Everything I've looked at either isn't good enough, the right thickness and would need doubling up at risk of protruding the case I have lined up.

It's a 'systainer' type case. I have several lasers in individual cases which makes it awkward to carry them all. Most of my gear is now in stackable systainers.

I think I'm gonna have a look on the net now. I don't think I'll find anything local suitable.

Something like expanded polyethylene foam would be ideal but it's pricy. Some company called Kaizen of something sell it at inflated prices for this purpose but it's more than I'm willing to pay for a brand name.
Hold on a moment. You've spent quite a bit of money on Systainers (at £30 to £50 a pop) for your tools and your expensive lasers (presumably at £150 or more a pop) and now you are complaining about the price of some Kaizen foam at £35 - incidentally enough foam to give you 6 pieces of 57mm deep foam (based on a Systainer's size of approximately 400 x 300mm). You can get CAP foam from Toolovation which is similar stuff, and cheaper, too, and Vantainer do Kaizen foam inserts to fit Systainers without the need to trim.

A Tanos vaulted lid insert is about £4, a base insert is about £6.50 and a couple of 57mm Kaizen sheets would be circa £18 which totals £28.50 for a £40 or £50 case to hold £500 of laser and laser range finder (taking my own case ). So I have to ask just how cheap you feel you need to go?

Sponsored Links
I know what you're saying. They're Makpac cases. Licenced from Tanos I believe. The reason I'm trying to be tight, is firstly I didn't pay what you're suggesting. I know they can go for that but most of my tools come with cases anyway and extras I've bought I've waited for and got decent deals.

The reason I feel the Kaizen stuff is expensive is because it's no different to that normal packing polyethylene you get in a lot of modern day technology parcels. Unfortunately it's not really in a shape or size that can be used for what I want.

And yeah, I've spent a lot of money on laser lines, plum lasers and laser measures, which all come in sufficient cases. It's simply a matter of simplicity moving from job to job.

Regardless, if I can get it cheaper, I'll have it cheaper. No one makes money by giving it away.

Edit:: being bank holiday Sunday I've had a few and typing has become a bit of a challenge let alone spelling.

They're Makpac cases. Licenced from Tanos I believe
Actually, they aren't licensed. Makita did supply some of their tools in real Systainer Classics a few years back (mainly in Germany) while in the UK they offered a Systainer look-alike for a while with some kit which unfortunately wasn't compatible with the Tanos/Festool products. The Makpacs are something new and are compatible. Incidentally, they aren't the only manufacturer who has designed their own compatible cases - Metabo has also done the same with their current Metaloc cases (having ppreviously bought from Tanos) and there are other third party compatibles coming onto the market now, such as Sealey. These newcomers are fully compatible with the Systainer Classic, but have limited compatibility with the Systainer T-Loc (just like Tanos's own products in fact). Makes me think that the original Tanos patents have run-out

The reason I'm trying to be tight, is firstly I didn't pay what you're suggesting
OK, so £20 to £30 a pop for Makpacs. Still doesn't change the cost of the tool you want to carry inside.

The reason I feel the Kaizen stuff is expensive is because it's no different to that normal packing polyethylene you get in a lot of modern day technology parcels. Unfortunately it's not really in a shape or size that can be used for what I want.
And there you have it in a nutshell. The Kaizen foam is diced rather than a single block and it can be had in nicely shaped pieces which fit a Systainer without the need to trim it at all. You are paying for convenience.

If you want pick and pluck foam sheets you can get it from firms like eFoam but it tends to come in largish quantities because it is a bulky, relatively low cost product and they are hardly going to make money on a single 1/6 sheet size piece (that and postage costs would be prohibitive). Or you could always go round local packaging suppliers to see if you can get hold of "ballistic foam" in small quantities but having done this myself I in the past I wouldn't hold out much hope of success.

It's simply a matter of simplicity moving from job to job.
Yes, I know. I started to move to Systainers/Makpacs/Metalocs about 7 years ago. I'm still only about 70% of the way there (and some tools will never fit in a Systainer), but it is a lot easier to clip 2 or 3 tool boxes together (times two - one stack for each hand) to cart to and from the van. It makes setting up and packing up a lot faster and keeps the back of my van tidier, too

BTW, have you considered the Tanos/Festool Systainer tool totes, or the recently introduced Makita Makpac version, for hand tool storage and transport? They are really handy

Last edited by a moderator:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back