Picture of the week!™

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Well it’s been a little while since I last posted a picture of the week but had an exciting event at work today and though you might all enjoy it!

IMG_3344.jpeg

I was plugging in this 400A feeder when the end popped right off!!

Sponsored Links
Yeah I’m all good thanks. I’ve just about got out of contracting altogether so don’t often post these days but I still look in from time to time!

eek.

Did you take the connector apart and try to determine why it failed?

Sponsored Links
I hope whoever fitted that PowerLok knew that the conductor should be secured into the conductive part of the connector with two grub screws (and alot of 'welly') and didn't just push the bare end in & tighten the gland at the back.

I'd be checking the other nine ends very carefully!!

Has a "safety moment" thing at work a while ago. A gouger was working, tugged the cable a bit, the connector came off (just like above), and the bare end dropped onto a gas cutting torch and the arc cut the torch into two pieces.

Has a "safety moment" thing at work a while ago. A gouger was working, tugged the cable a bit, the connector came off (just like above), and the bare end dropped onto a gas cutting torch and the arc cut the torch into two pieces.
Are you in BAE?

Hey Rob, great to hear from you, matey!

Edit:
IHNI what I was trying to say there, but I think it must have been an auto correct.

Last edited:
I hope whoever fitted that PowerLok knew that the conductor should be secured into the conductive part of the connector with two grub screws (and alot of 'welly') and didn't just push the bare end in & tighten the gland at the back.

No one would think thats the correct way to make them off, surely? More likely its been tightened down and then classed as done, where as I'd have tightened it down, flexed the cable a bit to cause the strands to settle, re-checked tightness, visually inspected it it, then given it another check for tightness.

Though I am aware of at least one instance of where a lug on a large SWA feed was never crimped, it came to light when switchgear was being changed the guy noticed it seemed to have movement in it..... It was quite a tight fit, and I presume the person responsible had probably dry fitted it, offered it to the terminal to get the angular position and mark it, and brought it back out to crimp and tape, but had get distracted and forgotten to actually crimp it!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back