Plain pipe to connect waste to trap

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I’ve bought a replacement waste/strainer for my utility room sink, but discovered that the overflow is connected differently from the one it’s replacing.

This pic is of the old one – the overflow on the new one connects to a fitting where the upper red line indicates. So I guess I need to replace the piece of pipe which connects the waste to the trap with a plain pipe which doesn't have a side connection… could anybody help me with the right part from SF please?

20190928_111030.jpg

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
You won't find a replacement piece of pipe for the trap But - either a new trap ( may be different outlet height ) OR a 40mm plug . Screwfix number 34151 It looks like the plug will replace the nozzle using the existing black rubber, red plastic ring and the nut. Or leave the nozzle and seal it up with silicone -and a cork;). In the world of plumbing, traps all look the same but their dimensions ( apart from pipe size, are not)

I looked at the screwfix straight nozzle but wondered if it was open ended ? Some traps come with bungs (like rad bungs) and I keep a few spare for jobs like this.

No not open ended, I’ve fitted many of them you have to cut them with a hacksaw. There’s an angled flop last one but it doesn’t say if it comes with a bung. Yes I keep the spares also :D

OK thanks for all the replies... you SEEM to be saying that the straight coupling with the overflow attachment somes with the trap, so I can't just replace it separately?

If I've understood that correctly, then I have two options I think - either replace the whole trap (if I can get one the right size), or somehow block the outlet (eg with silicone).

OK, will do...

OK thanks for all the replies... you SEEM to be saying that the straight coupling with the overflow attachment somes with the trap, so I can't just replace it separately?

If I've understood that correctly, then I have two options I think - either replace the whole trap (if I can get one the right size), or somehow block the outlet (eg with silicone).

OK, will do...

I wouldn’t use silicone. Use one of the fittings I sent a link of.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back