Planning for driveway

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all
I’m confused about planning rules.
Does anyone know if a sloped driveway that slopes towards the house will need paid planning permission?
Builders and tarmac construction workers haven’t got a clue. They all say they didn’t know about the driveway rules.
Council dept not picking up phone.
So my broken driveway has been dug up and had to stop work because I think I need planning permission. The opening section by the dropped kerb is slightly sloped towards the house towards the side entrance of house. Rain water builds up towards side of house area. The other half of driveway is higher from the pavement no dropped kerb section. It slopes down from about about 18 inches from pavement towards the house. Water pools up obviously infront of house.
Can’t install soak away. Combine shared lateral sewerage system shallow underneath so no space for a soak away and it’s clay soil.
So if I have new tarmac laid will I need to apply on line for planning permission?
Anyone understand the rules ?
I’m confused because my driveway isn’t allowing surface water run off.

Sponsored Links
https://www.planningportal.co.uk/pe.../paving-your-front-garden/planning-permission If the new driveway does not run off onto the highway (pavement) then you don't need planning permission. However if you cannot create a soakaway because of local ground conditions or are unable to adhere to minimum distances from the boundary for a soakaway then (theoretically) you should seek Building Control approval to connect into the sewer. Though many people drain into the sewer without getting permission. Photos may help .....

Hi Freddie
Yes I looked on the portal. The front garden is quite big 7m depth by 8m wide but the sewerage maps show lateral shared combined pipes going across the width, diagonal pipe and surface water pipe goes out straight across towards the pavement. Surface water pipe is very shallow clay pipe. Water company has visited and done a cctv because I thought the excess water was a cracked pipe but it isn’t. They think the main pipe runs all way along parallel with diagonal out towards the road. So I don’t think there is any safe space to be digging down 1 metre soak away crates. My house brickwork is always wet even though old driveway was half paved half gravel. I want to prevent water from sitting on front of house walls.

We pay our surface water bill so I don’t see how it’s fair that we have to pay councils for permission for drainage.

I bet nobody on my estate has paid driveway permission fees. Seeing lots of plastic kerb ramps around so people are getting away with stuff but my luck council would get me.

Too late to prove a dig water test. Builder laid the mot sub base.

If I apply and pay for driveway aco drainage to surface water pipe which is combined shared sewer will it likely be refused permission?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back