Plasterboard box.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Has anyone experience of these https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/AP603.html
1691705294799.png

A friend of a friend has a problem with a metal PB box (not come across one of these myself) where the PB is breaking up at the sides where the lugs and flanges are.

I'm wondering about fitting them top and bottom. Although I'm not sure about getting them fitted as she says the box doesn't move backwards

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
They are junk.
Box needs to go further back into the wall space to allow them to be attached.
Then it's necessary to hold the box in place while attaching the accessory, otherwise the box will fall into the cavity. Good luck doing that with only 2 hands.

The plasterboard can be repaired by cutting 2 strips of thin plastic sheet ~1mm thickness, fixing them to the back of the plasterboard at each side of the opening with double sided tape, and then repairing the front with Easifill 20.
Existing box can go back in once set, which should only be about half an hour.

I'm going tomorrow and thought I'd get a set as a quick fit but had realised box would have to be further back to fit them and reason I asked if it could move backwards.
I was hoping to avoid getting involved with board repair but I suspect it will be the outcome

Sponsored Links
I purchased a pack just in case. As mentioned the box could not move backwards as the Click metal backbox has a flange all round and those clips would not have fitted on it anyway. Apparently the socket has always been loose but a particularly tight phone charger pulled it right out.
However there was a much, much simpler repair option open to me than repairing the broken PB...

Using a pad saw I enlarged the single sized hole to double(y)(y) oh and fitted a double socket with USB outlets (y):) .

This is the first time I've encountered the Click range of PB back boxes and decided to use the same, but I'm a little concerned about the pair of thin fingers cutting into the PB (especially having seen what happened) Being told this socket is used for lots of different items and regularly plugged in/out, I cut up the single box and using the side and flange reinforced the sides of the PB hole for the fingers to clamp against.

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back