Plasterboard question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,
I am converting a log cabin style building in my garden to use as a small studio. I'm putting up an inner stud frame, insulating and covering with plasterboard. However I'm a little nervous that the plasterboard needs to be moisture board rather than regular, which would increase the cost significantly. But also think I'm over thinking it. The building doesn't suffer from any moisture ingress at all. I've had it up 3 years and it's dry as a bone! So I'm just looking for some reassurance that it will be fine and there won't be issues further down the line. I'm a little paranoid about what goes on behind the board that I can't see as well.

I'm in Bristol UK if the climate plays into this at all.

Thank you.

Sponsored Links
dont forget that log cabins grow and shrink with the seasons, but the insulated internal wood will not move as much, so if the inner and outer timbers are screwed together at top and bottom then you run the risk of gaps opening up between the logs and then allowing water in that way.
The Tuin log cabin site has a technical section where they discuss that and give their reasons for not offering a "twinwall" log cabin.

Sponsored Links
@foxhole I think you are right. I was originally going with OSB and I think I'll go back to that.

@Mike13 I'll check that link out, thank you. It's been up for a good few years now and I'm aware it moves and how much as I've always monitored it for moisture ingress. So I'm pretty confident it should be ok.

Appreciate all the advice.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back