Plate compactor issue(s) & repair

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All.

I am looking for any help and or advise that you might be able to give me.
I have no knowledge with regards to plate compactors, so please forgive the incoming dumb questions.

In short I'm having problems getting this plate compactor to work how I would expect.
By that I mean it doesn't seem to be compacting and it's not walking forward under it's own power, and needs a lot of help to move.

I have picked up a cheap little plate compactor for a upcoming project, as it was being sold cheap as spares or repair.
The seller said that it is a Neilsen branded unit, but I am unable to find anything on the unit to confirm the make or model, I am fully expecting this to be a copy of a copy of a chinese clone.
Searching google images I have found others that look the same as mine.
Neilsen C40.
Neilsen CT1703.
Jobsite C-40.
Jobsite CT1703.

As previously said this was sold as spares or repair, and the back story was that it was working, but was then stored for a number of years.
Sure enough opening up the fuel tank stank of old fuel, I removed the fuel tank, and drained as much of the "fuel" out, lovely rich dark brown.
I knew at this point there was absolutely no point in even trying to start it.
Quick check of the engine oil, yep it's at the right level but as dark as night.
I flushed out the fuel tank, and moved on through the fuel system, the pipes were not that bad, however the fuel on/off valve was completely blocked.
Seeing the state of the fuel tank and on/off valve, I knew that I would need to remove the carburettor and clean that.
And yes didn't it just, the bowl was full of crap, the main jet was blocked, and the float valve stuck open.
Everything in the carb was removed cleaned, inspected, and refitted.
Filled the tank with good new fuel, primed the system, and after a few good pulls of the cord, the engine tried.
It seems that for some strange reason the choke lever seems to be labelled backwards in my mind.
Choke on is labelled OFF, and Choke off is labelled ON.
With the choke set on, and a little bit of throttle, and a good pull of the cord, the engine sprung into life, yes a win!!

Or so I thought.
As said above, it doesn't seem to be compacting and it's not walking forward under it's own power, It needs a lot of help to move.

I am trying to find a user/service manual for this compactor, no luck as of yet, but I have found a few that are close.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Can you give us a picture of the roller driven by the engine?
It’s usually this part that’s out of balance that gives the machine momentum.
John

Sponsored Links
Thank you for your replies.

Burnerman: Please find below requested pictures.
cdbe: the drive belt is old and worn but in once piece, the NSK 6005DU bearing in the drive pully has a bit of a grumble, so new bearing on order.
Old salt: hydraulic oil? am I missing something here?

Best regards.

Last edited:
Thanks for the pics - very helpful!
Top pic......is that a centrifugal clutch or just a heavy duty pulley? Either way, a grumbling bearing won't sort this issue I don't think.
Bottom pic.......from the little experience I have, this is a roller that is spun out of balance, due to the way it is weighted. It's this that causes the forward motion.
Try running the machine slower than you'd expect, and see if things improve?
John :)

The vibration dampers can sometimes contain oil depending on the make/type. Some use atf, engine or gear oil. Not sure of your though as I haven't checked it out.

If the engine runs and increases speed, the pulley turns under load, the belt is intact, the damper pulley turns, the problem can only lie with the damper unit because its all that's left.

I can only speak from my experience, it's the exiter bearings that need checking - they're massive things inside that yellow tube (that should have oil in). In my case they failed and the belt was initially loose (little/no drive) and ultimately thrown off.

The bearings are massive things as they have to support what is essentially a shaft with a massive unbalanced hammer spinning round on it and "whacking" the plate.

IMG_20240709_141905559.jpg

I've not played around with engine speed yet.
Does anyone know what sort of engine speed / exciter shaft speed is normally required?

The crank pully looks to be a centrifugal clutch, I've not yet had time to pull it apart and give it a good look over, However I will do this when I replace the NSK 6005DU (47x25x12mm) bearing.
The exciter shaft bearings are NSK 6304DU (52x20x15mm), and spin fine by hand, no noise, etc.

The engine should accelerate as the throttle is increased. It doesn't need to be an exact science but will show whether the engine is fuelling correctly and you should see the pulley speed increasing showing any keyways are intact I would think.

If that device on prof's first pic is a centrifugal clutch, the engine should run slowly without the drive engaging, and as the engine revs increase so should the drive.
I don't use these things but have repaired a few with engine faults so I don't know very much about them....one Oriental machine wouldn't pull itself along at high revs but sort of obliged when the revs were reduced. It had no clutch either so was a swine to handle!
John :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back