Pointing - how often needed?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Around a month ago, I decided it was time I did some patch pointing, areas where it had deteriorated. The place was last pointed, top to bottom, in 1985, so I was quite surprised any was needed at all. How long should repointing normally last please, if done properly?

Mainly, it was a 2 x 4 metre section, which needed redoing, on a double brick wall, no cavity.

Sponsored Links
I would have thought there would be a few variables, like if it was the weather side, condition of the bricks, how deep it was raked out in 1985 etc, but 40 years is not bad going for repointing I would have thought.

I don't recall the industry standard, but 50 years rings a bell.

It can deteriorate either by the mortar being soft and so it gradually erodes like sand, or by the weathering face wearing away leaving a hard but rough face.

Sponsored Links
There is no set time. Houses on the seafront often have the joints taken out in 30 years or less. Sheltered walls with really tight joints might still be full 100 years later.

Re-pointing?

A lot will depend on how well it was done, the elevation/exposure, the masonry etc.

Yes but generally it should outlive a generation at the very least if done right..

Obviously if it is an exposed situation its going to fail much more quickly..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back