Polishing bare metal cast iron fireplace

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to polish a bare metal cast iron fireplace.

I don't want to use anything that will "paint" the cast iron black, I want it to be polished bare metal.

To speed up the job,I'd like to use a machine! The fireplace is huge.

I wondered if I could use something on a drill bit I could use that will polish the cast iron fireplace, and won't scratch it to hell.

Was thinking of just using wd40 to polish it.

Grateful for recommendations

Thanks

Sponsored Links
I need to polish a bare metal cast iron fireplace
What sort of state is it in currently?
Is it covered in rust spots etc. - can you post a picture?
To speed up the job,I'd like to use a machine! The fireplace is huge.
Was thinking of just using wd40 to polish it.
If it isn't in a bad state, it really won't take long to go over it manually, with some Brasso - quite a satisfying job!

the best thing is the black graphite, it polishes in and removes the rust spots, done correctly you get a shiny metal look to the iron. Use a wire brush on a drill to apply it initially then buff off the bits in corners by hand.

Sponsored Links
Here's the current state.

I don't want to use graphite as it goes it a strange near silver finish.

Attachments

• IMG-20241012-WA0004.jpg
    IMG-20241012-WA0004.jpg
    247 KB · Views: 37
well cast iron is a shiny material when polished, the graphite within the iron helps it stay smooth, and when well buffed after applying it will not leave much free graphite on the surface. Look at the colour of a cast cam lobe in an engine, that is quite silvery.

You have zero chance of polishing that up. Too big and too much detail to do even with experience of polishing and the correct tools without losing the detail.

Best option would be to get it sandblasted and lacquered,

You have zero chance of polishing that up. Too big and too much detail to do even with experience of polishing and the correct tools without losing the detail.

Best option would be to get it sandblasted and lacquered,
I agree with you apart from the fact that I have heard sand blasting can be harmful to fine detail I woud suggest soda blasting or some other softer material.

It's already been blasted.

It's just a it grubby from having been sat around and has picked up some light surface rust, which just wipes off.

It's clean metal.

It's already been blasted.

It's just a it grubby from having been sat around and has picked up some light surface rust, which just wipes off.

It's clean metal.
Has it? I'd expect it to be shiny metal if its been blasted. That looks like its still got black polish or paint on it.

Why don't you try something out on the back to test results. I have only experienced new cast iron and obtaining a good finish and that was by hand using emery cloth. However you could try a flappy wheel, wire brush attachments etc in a power drill until you find which gives you the result you are looking for.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back