Potterton suprima 30 problem..

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hot water timer just came on and the boiler fired up and heated but that was it.. the system rattled like mad for a while and then the boiler shut off.. i presume due to an overheat. It has a seperate wall mounted programmer, a potterton one. All power appears to be ok up in the closet at the pump and valve..... any ideas.. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Did everything get hot - radiators and hot water. If not then it sounds like your pump is either not spinning or the impeller is detached. There should be a screw or nut on the front of the pump which you can undo to manually rotate the pump shaft.

Paul

No, nothing getting hot... i have undone the screw and it turns free... what i think is not happening is that the pump doesn't appear to be getting the message to do anything. Not getting any noises from the pump.. the power is ok up there, the valve light are on and operates when switched from hw to ch.. The boiler will go through it's cycle of firing up but it just then runs for a minute or so and hisses and then the flame is cut out which i presume is a safety cut out thing.
The pipes sometimes knock like mad before it cuts out but i think that may be because the water in the boiler is being boiled causing temporay air problems... just a guess!!

Could this be a problem with the control, timer unit... it has done some strange things in the past but always worked again ok after a while.

The system was fitted when the house was built 5 years ago... just for info.

I am not saying it is but it may be the pump has gone, can you not get a a voltage tester to see if anything there?

Sponsored Links
It does sound like the pump. If you can't get a voltage tester as breezer suggests take the 3 wires out and wire them up to a 240v appliance such as a bedside lamp, hairdryer or something to see if you have power.
What type of pump is it, make and model if possible? You'll usually find they're either Grundfoss, Myson or Wilo Salmson.

Hi all... thanks for your help but i have found the problem..
I tested the power out to the pump from the connections on the boiler and nothing was going out... i removed the printed circuit board and turned it around and there was the problem... a bad bit of circuit solder on the pump feed termination... i got the soldering iron out and hey presto i have heat and water again..!! Handy as i had just come come back 5 hours out in the woods on my trials motorcycles and was a bit sweaty!!

Thanks again, i am sure i will need help again..
http://www.r2wtrials.com

The problem has partialy returned... the pcb is the problem again but this stime i think it needs a replacement.. where would be the best place to obtain one at a sensible price.
it is potterton suprima 30 ... thanks for any help.

I have one on my van :)
New will cost about £130 +VAT, so you may want to search for a reconditioned one. The part no is 5102160 for new or 40775099 for reconditioned. Try a search on google or look for boiler spares in yellow pages.
Just found www.cetltd.com, which has reconditioned ones for £36.40 don't know how reliable they are though.

Thanks for that..... willing to try the cheaper one as it is a bit near christmas!!!

As a matter of interest... if an engineer comes to do a service on the system, what do they do... and at what price approx?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back