Power lead extension - got water in

OM2

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've got a power lead extension.
We had water get spilled onto it accidentally.
That was 3 months ago.
I thought I would let it dry and then use again - I forgot to use.

Just wondering now though... should I use at all?

I have a computer keyboard. That got put under the sink a few times. (Long story.)
That doesn't work. Some buttons work. Other's don't respond.
I was thinking in the same way... if the power lead got damaged internally... it could be a bad idea to use?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
I'm sure it'll be fine. I have an extension lead that lives outside and it has been rained on many times to the extent that it has been full of water and tripping the electric sometimes, I just drain it and use it..

Doubtless it's slowly getting ruined, but it's been fully functional for 5 years now

For your own safety's sake I would recommend you unplug it from power if it still shows signs of being wet itself - don't handle wet plugs that are powered up

The computer keyboard is a totally different kettle of fish when it comes to having liquids spilled on it. Electronic components what rely on slight low voltage changes to signal eventa like keys are being pressed don't take kindly to having water present. If it's still behaving oddly now it may still have water sandwiched between the film membranes inside that bear the contacts the keys connect with; they tend to be a rubber cup with a pad of conductive material that forms a switch, but water getting under it defeats the effective switching. Pulling it properly in bits and letting it all dry out will likely restore it to working order but depending on the design putting it back together may be a nightmare, and a replacement for a few quid would be better value in terms of your time

Water is often sucked into electrical equipment as the air inside the equipment cools, so leaving to dry out often does not work, as no way for the water to leave, once it gets in, and if it arcs then it can form a carbon track, and again drying out does not help.

However with an extension lead that is unlikely to be the case, so if it does not trip the RCD, then it's fine to use.

• Thanks
Reactions: OM2
Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back