Principle elevation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all

I'm currently going through conveyancing for a property and I wish to build a hip/gable loft conversion (no dormer). I'm carrying out the works under Permitted development

The house is a victorian end terrace with the entrance on the side. The architect has said the local council may deem the principle elevation the side with my entrance door. Therefore I would have to apply for a full planning application. Personally I don't think it is the principle elevation. I've noted down some reasons, can anyone with experience maybe help me with some extra points or even challenge what I've wrote. I'm thinking of emailing the council and asking their thoughts but I'd like to put over a strong argument 1st.

I will attach some pictures for context

Principle elevation would be the side with most important windows i.e two bedroom windows, two dining room windows not the side with my stairway window.

The principle elevation would be the side facing the road,with the most architectural features

Steps into front garden leading to a old door, new door been relocated on the side of the property

Front garden with steps to the principle elevation,maybe the entrance door used to be on the front

Neighbouring terrace houses principle elevation would be facing the main road

Apologies for the crude drawing, the blue line indicates the hip to gable and also the split to the neighbours house

the road with my entrance door on is a side street, whereas the other road is the main road
1000039730.jpg
1000039731.jpg

Sponsored Links
I think that the address is the key determinant here. Is the street address the main road (left) or the side road (right)?

Regards

Tet

Hi

The street address is the main road, (left)
This is great news (IMO). I wouldn't even discuss architectural features. The entrace is an irrelevance as far as you or your application is concerned

Regards

Tet

Sponsored Links
I think that the address is the key determinant here. Is the street address the main road (left) or the side road (right)?

I'm not sure that the street address actually determines anything. Our address is in a village 5 miles away from where the house is located, across the boundary in a different county. The Post Office have changed each line of the address three times in the last 40 years, including post code. Only the house name has remained constant!

With a terrace, the principal elevation would normally be that of the whole terrace irrespective of where the front door is.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back