Problem wiringVarilight dimmer switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have a varilight dimmer switch which I want to wire into a 2-way circuit (with a slave). Problem is, the original switches are rather old and while I have 3 wires to the one switch (2 red, 1 black), the switch that will evidently be the master has four wires (2 red, 2 black).

I've got the instructions and wiring diagrams but the extra wire has got me confused - can anyone just clarify the wiring for this scenario for me please?

cheers
Matt

Sponsored Links
got any info on how the original switches were wired

it may be that your existing wiring is unsuitable for master slave dimmers

can you post up the wiring diagram for theese master slave dimmers

i've got a pretty good idea who they are wired but it will be easier with the wiring diagram availible to reference

Sponsored Links
Two way switching is achieved by either (a) Switch cable to switch No 1 (two wires) and a strapper cable (3 wires) to switch No2, so you would see 5 wires at one switch and 3 at the other.
Or (B) 1 live wire to switch No1, then strapper cable (2 wires) to switch No 2 and a 'switched live wire' from switch No 2 to rose. So you would see 3 wires at each switch.
I would think you have the second method, but as there is 4 wires at one switch it does not quite fit the situation. It is feasible that if the switch with 4 wires is one of a gang, it may well be that it also feeds a live to the adjacent switch.
It is not stated which wires are connected to which terminals,but I would expect to see 2 wires in the 'com' terminal.

I maybe wrong but I thought the 'strapper cable on the varilight master/slave system needed 3 wires and if you only have 2 then you have a further problem.
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

not that brand, but the drawing does show 3 wires are required

REMWIRE2.gif

Matt
Do you have three wires going between the two switches. The Varilight dimmers require this. One of these is a live link so if you only have two core between the switches you are stuck unless you have another live frm the same cct coming to the slave unit.(This would save on the link core). You need to work out what all you cables are. Which is your live(s), s/s live(to your load), and your interconnecting.

Work out what you have and let us know.

Gus

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back