Problem with cooling fan

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Guys,

I own a 2000 Vauxhall Combo. Recently I found that it was overheating. On closer inspection I noticed the fan wasn't working.

Three wires connect from the loom into the fan, these are (from left to right:

red/blue
black
brown white

I have disconnected the terminal pins and measured the resistance over right and left terminals (i.e. where the red/blue and brown/white wires connect) and get a reading of 0.9 ohms which I assume is good.

If I measure the resistance of either the left or right terminal with the middle one the resistance is about 10 ohms.

With the ignition turned off I have checked the voltage from the wires from the loom with the battery and find that only the black wire when measured against the positive connection of the battery gives a reading (13 volts). When I start the ignition I find that again the black wire is the only wire showing a measurement (14 volts) but this time only when I measure using a multimeter connected to the negative terminal.

I wonder if any of you would be able to offer me some advice as to what or where my problem may be. Help of any sort would be greatly appreicated.

Yours,

Mark

Sponsored Links
The fan may be controlled by the engine temp sensor, so that could be faulty. (as was the case with my focus)

If there are 3 wires, it will be a 2 speed fan.
It'll come on slow when the temp reaches around 85 (ish) degrees, and go to a higher speed if the temp goes above 95 (ish!) degrees.
Change the fan switch and see what happens, they're cheap as chips

Thanks guys, I appreciate your advice, Any idea where thew fan switch may be located?

Mark

Sponsored Links
It's usually on the radiator itself, as that is the bit that needs the cooling. Could well be (as said above) part of the engine coolant temperature sender which could well be anywhere!

If it's not on the rad, then ask back here where the ECT sensor is any someone will tell you

Guys,

Had a look on the radiator and found something at the bottom left hand corner. I bit difficult to get to but I'll give it a go!.

I presume that I'll have to go to a vauxhall dealship for this item?

Once again thanks for your help.

Mark

Any decent motor factors will get one for you, but you should get change out of £15 from vauxhall

Back