problem with main isolator

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
a few years ago we got re-wired by the council and an isolator was put in by the REC. i have just been in the cupboard busy with the CU (adding a spur) when i noticed a hole in the cover over the isolator. took the cover off and there was also previously melted plastic on the neutral tail to the CU. loosened the screw (was in very tight) but couldnt get the wire out to look at any damage. the screw also didnt come out smoothly (as tho it had corroded)

what should i do bout it, since its possible the main isolator is damaged? call the REC?

Sponsored Links
andrew2022 said:
a few years ago we got re-wired by the council and an isolator was put in by the REC. i have just been in the cupboard busy with the CU (adding a spur) when i noticed a hole in the cover over the isolator. took the cover off and there was also previously melted plastic on the neutral tail to the CU. loosened the screw (was in very tight) but couldnt get the wire out to look at any damage. the screw also didnt come out smoothly (as tho it had corroded)

what should i do bout it, since its possible the main isolator is damaged? call the REC?

Get back in touch with the council. Sounds like either a loose connection or clamping the sheath in the terminal. Either way certainly needs looking at.

the house is now private. i didnt look at the phase side, but the insulation on the neutral looks like it may be slightly past where it should be. am gonna have a look now

i think the isolator is up for replacement seems like a loose connection caused the terminal to get hot

three possibilities

1: call the rec (and risk a big bill if they deem it not thier fault)
2: call an electrican who is prepared to pull the fuse himself
3: pull the fuse yourself

3 is what i would do myself but i would probablly recocmend 2 unless you are very confident

Sponsored Links
just give the cable a good pullin. all the insulation is melted so the isolator obviously needs replaced. i dont wanna pull the fuse ATM so i cant take the isolator out, but it def needs replaced. it looks like it is on a DIN rail. id this type of isolator the same type as what is in a CU?

if yes i will get a new isolator and pull the fuse. fortunatly there is a seal but it only goes thru the screw so i can easily get it out

will make a complain to the council about the way they left it (NOTE: it was a diferent council to who i work for who done the re-wire)

if its in a seperate din rail modular box then one designed for use in a CU will be fine

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back