Problem with socket

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I've changed the kitchen socket due to 1 of the switches breaking, wouldn't let me switch it off.

Since I've changed the socket the left socket doesn't seem to work, if I flick the on switch I get power for a brief second then nothing.... Any ideas?

I've since tried the old socket and still the same problem, it's all wired up ok.

IMG_20240726_170031.jpg

Sponsored Links
On paper that's not possible unless one switch has broken.
If you bought a new double socket I've never known one not to work.
When you screw socket to wall make sure it is not under strain and bent. Needs to be sat nice a flat without strain.
How are you testing socket?

Sponsored Links
Took another socket off and no problems, so the replacement socket arrived with only the right side working.

Is there anyway just to repair the faulty switch? It's not fully switching off like something stuck or broken in the switch

That's odd.

I've bought many brands of socket over the decades from MK to cheap as chips stuff. The cheapest double socket I bought was 69p.

The only issue I've had with any socket is when there's a loose connection on either side.

It's the switch that had the kettle plugged into it so got used a fair bit, switched on one morning and then we couldn't press the switch back in/off properly.

Apologies for the quotes

When I have a change of tenant in my rentals I change the sockets and switches. As there's a SF nearby I use BG except for the storage heaters and immersions where habitually I've used MK.

Guess which bits I've had fail?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back