Problem with toilet not flushing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
When the toilet is flushed, the bowl fills up with water then empties below the U bend and the wash basin plug gurgles.
If I turn the basin tap on, the toilet bowl fills to its normal level quickly.
If I don't turn the tap on, it fills but a bit slower.

When the soil pipe cover is removed (photo attached), the toilet flushes like it should.

Thank you for any suggestins you may have.

Attachments

• 20240708_173933.jpg
    20240708_173933.jpg
    193 KB · Views: 37
Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
We planed to investigate today which wouldn't have been easy due to our kitchen extension, but the toilet has started flushing without any issues!

Could there have been a slight blockage that cleared itself?
Is there anything we can do to prevent it happening again?

We planed to investigate today which wouldn't have been easy due to our kitchen extension, but the toilet has started flushing without any issues!

Kitchen extension?
Has the manhole been built over?

Yes, the kitchen extension was done before we bought the house. We can still access the manhole if necessary.

Well, I have one in my kitchen extension with a sealed manhole in the tiles.
It needs cleaning out about once every couple of years.

Possibly, if waste has backed up and weight behind blockage has caused it to give, then quite possible it's cleared itself.

Not really, apart from don't put anything down the WC you shouldn't, (should only be the 3 P's, Pee, Poo and Paper), and avoid putting cooking fat down the sink. Let it cool and put in food waste or refuse bin.

Keep an eye on situation, any changes, e.g. toilet backing up, gurgling sinks/showers etc., then I'd be prepared to start investigating further, as possible it's either still blocked or has blocked again.

Well, I have one in my kitchen extension with a sealed manhole in the tiles.
It needs cleaning out about once every couple of years.
We've been here for 11 years and so far, not had any issues. We'll keep an eye on it and will investigate if need be.

We've been here for 11 years and so far, not had any issues. We'll keep an eye on it and will investigate if need be.

It's mainly shower, sink, washing machine and dishwasher fat that clogs it... Kids thinking sink is a food bin grrrrr!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back