Problems with a HW system ( Potterton 50L and Heatrae CL)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have been having problems with my HW system since I came into the new place I am renting for about 2 weeks now. I know I could get the landlord to fix it and have them take the money problems, but I would rather try to understand the problem and make sure it is not something simple to fix before I call out the plumber.
Here is what is happening and what I have done to trouble shoot it so far.

System: Potterton 50L boiler with an external Potterton digital electronic programmer for HW and CH. This is in combo with a Heatrae MegafloCL175 immersion heater/water tank. The tank has 2x 2-port Honeywell V4043H motorised valves. Hmm, think that should be enough info on system.

Problem: Before 9 a.m., it is impossible to get hot water from the taps. After that hour, a reset of the system from the electric point is usually what can do the trick. The evenings usually work fine for some reason. The programmer is set for starting at 7 a.m. to about 10 a.m. and from 5 p.m. to 10 p.m. (so not a am/pm issue) The light goes on for the programmer at that hour to signal that the system should be up and going. Looking at the Potterton, there is no flame in the boiler and the LED is set to orange (no call for HW). This is despite every hot water tap in the house being on, just to be sure on my part. I put on the CH and adjusted the temp so it would need to be on, and the boiler came on just fine. Checked the rads, and they were cranking away. Turned off the CH and the boiler shut down and back to the orange light (from the solid green when it was working). I have a feeling its not the Potterton (suprise on my part). Check the pipes upstairs coming out of the Heatrae and they are all cold. No hot water flowing there at all. Checked the thermostat and it was set for about 60 C, let a bit of water bleed off and it was hot as it should be.

I am a bit baffled at why there is no 'call for HW' from any part of the system or what might be at fault. Being from the U.S., I realize there may be something I am just unaware of that I would need to have (re)set. One other thing, there was a period of time when the Potterton was off for about 12-14 hrs (overnight and until I saw the switch was off) that might have had something to do, but that is just guessing into the wind.
any ideas or help would be greately appreciated[/i]

Sponsored Links
What temperature is the Thermostat on your megaflow set to?
if you look at the lower part of the megaflow you will see a white platic cover, two phillips screws hold it in place, under the cover you will find a thermostat dial, from experience I have found that this will need to be turned up (clockwise) fairly high, give that a try, otherwise you could have a problem with a motorised valve or pump etc etc ;)

I tired messing about with that (down then up again), and it seems to have worked. Hope it will continue to do so. Thank you for the suggestion.

Sponsored Links
Well, after giving it the weekend to think about things, it has decided that the fix was only to be a one off thing. There is still no call for hot water.
So besides the hot taps draining the pressure head, what else can issue a call for hot water? Is it the honeywell vavles? (doesn't sound like both of them are energised during the problems, they don't 'humm')

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back