Quick Question (Insulation & Conduits)

R

ryanj

I know it is unacceptiable to cover electrical cables with insulation, but would it be acceptable to cover conduit with loft insulation?

Thanks...

Sponsored Links
Exact british reg's i cannot help you with, but this is really a judgement call you have to make yourself. What cable do you wish to cover?
If you could provide more info, such af why do you want to do this, it would be a help. The term you used "unacceptable" might be a bit strong :)

Nothing specific about this, I think they assume that conduit is a restrictive medium anyway, so as long as you use the correct correction factors, you will cover every eventuality except in extreme environments.

Personally, I would use the correction factors for conduit, then use the correction factors for cables covered in unsulation to be sure they are de-rated properly and that you get no nasty surprises down the line.

There are actually conduit derating factors?

Could you refer me to a page in BS7671?

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back