Quiery on trippled up floor joists

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, i have just started an alterationm and on my drawing it specifies trippling up 9x2s spanning across 4.5m on the second floor of the house; wherever i build a stud wall paralel with the joists.

I am building a stud wall on ground level on top of screed, and have chosen to build it directly below the same joist my second floor stud wall will be built on.

My question is, will building control still expect me to tripple up this joist, or will the supporting wall underneath be sufficient in supporting the up stairs wall aswell? :rolleyes:

Thanks in advance for any responce! :D

Sponsored Links
The only thing BC may have bones about, is if someone (may be a future owner of your property) decides they would like to remove the g.f. stud wall.

If there is insulation directly under the screed then this may be contentious, but i doubt it.

A triple joist is usually only necessary if you are building the stud wall prior to laying the floor boards, otherwise a double would suffice. A triple does allow for easy removal of the flooring material should you decide to build the wall first.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back