Quoting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
When replying to posts, what is the best way to use quotes?

At present I have to delete what I do not need but there must be an easier way. :D

Sponsored Links
I probably do it wrong too, but I press the quote button if I want all the post or if I only want say one line, I highlight then copy and paste it, then highlight and press quote again.The only difference is you have to put the senders name in yourself.

If I am adding several different lines, from subjects with several pages,I open the site twice and leave one of them at the bottom of my screen.You can then go back and to without loosing your reply.

If I am writing a long post I regularly copy and paste as a find the site as a habit of going haywire midstream. This way you can retrieve most of what you have written.

That is the only way to do it, unless you cut and paste then add the quote instructions yourself..

This quote business was driving me round the bend but I think I've cracked it. Quote does nothing more than put stuff in a box.

1) Click the Quote button. Note that an asterisk now appears in it.

2) Copy and Paste the stuff you want to quote.

3) Click Quote again. The asterisk disappears.

Points to note:

1) The Quote button toggles between "start of quote" and "end of quote". An asterisk means it'll be "end of quote". If you click Quote then delete the result watch out. Your next attempt to use the Quote button will have strange results. You'l have to click Quote again and delete that too before normal operation is restored.

2) It would appear that you can't insert a quote into stuff you've already typed. The Quote button always jumps to the end. This is sloppy programming!

3) A "start of quote" has "quote" in square brackets. An "end of quote" has "/quote" in square brackets. I can't give examples because all you will see is a quote box!

Sponsored Links
in the above posts the advice is to cut and paste but surely it is easier to highlight and press delete to get rid of what you don't want and leave what you want quoted?

Yes you are right if he is talking singular. I presumed he is talking in plural though so I answered as such. The method I said lets you take what you want from several pages or threads without losing the reply box.

He did say he already deletes, which is why I presumed this. I think it is one of those cases where the plural could be read eitherway.

Of course I may be wrong and you may of found a simpler way which is fine. ;)

Thanks for the replies. :D

I do Quote as Kendor has stated but will try the others later. :D

Back